Souths star questioned by police on the Gold Coast

SEN  •  August 10th, 2025 12:28 pm
Souths star questioned by police on the Gold Coast
South Sydney Rabbitohs star Brandon Smith is expected to play his 150th NRL game on Sunday despite being stopped by police after landing in the Gold Coast.
According to News Corp, the 29-year-old was pulled aside by the authorities after players arrived at Coolangatta on Saturday afternoon ahead of the side’s clash with the Titans.
“Queensland Police had cause to speak to a 29-year-old male at Coolangatta Airport,” a statement from the authorities said.
“The male was later released without charge. Police have no further information to provide.”
According to the report, the Rabbitohs have been in contact with the NRL integrity unit but no further details of why Smith was taken aside have been shared.
Smith was released from the final six months of his deal by the Roosters in May of this season and he is contracted to Souths until the end of 2027.
The hooker was initially set to join Souths in 2026 but salary cap management brought the deal forward.
“I dudded Wayne and I broke his trust because I told him I was going there,” Smith said when asked about previously turning down the chance to work alongside Wayne Bennett.
“Two years down the track, he’s still interested in me. That shows me he wants me. Every chance I’ve had with him over the past two days, he’s been outstanding. The feeling of not being wanted is bad, but being wanted is better.”
Follow Us
facebookfacebookxxtik-toktik-tokinstagraminstagramyoutubeyoutube

© 2025 Entain New Zealand Limited. All rights reserved.