Saints president “unrepentant” over AFL criticism
Andrew Slevison • April 3rd, 2025 10:18 am

St Kilda president Andrew Bassat’s thoughts regarding the AFL’s father-son and academy rules are well known.
Back in late September at the club’s best and fairest night, Bassat said the system was “rubbish” and “designed to favour the wealthier clubs and the northern clubs”.
It wasn’t too much later and the Saints had been handed a very tricky draw for season 2025 which included three trips to Adelaide in the opening five rounds and six games against 2024 finalists in the opening nine.
So, was the fixture the Saints received a slap down to Bassat for confronting the AFL?
“I’ve been assured not,” Bassat said on SEN’s Whateley.
“If it is a slap-back, then believe me, I’m going to keep slapping back in turn.
“But I don’t think that was the case, I think it was just unfortunate. The reality is that the AFL has a lot to do to sort out a fixture.
“I think St Kilda is not prioritised as much as a club like Collingwood in terms of how the fixture works, hence three weeks in Adelaide in the first five games.
“I don’t think the AFL is vindictive enough to slap back because I opened my mouth a couple of times.”
While Bassat admits he may have gone a bit hard initially, he is unrepentant for speaking what he believes to be the truth.
“We all make mistakes,” he added.
“I would have worded things a bit differently in terms of some of the messages I gave, but the truth is everything I’ve said is accurate.
“And I back up some of the issues around the fair price not being paid for father/sons and academies. If anyone wants to say that Nick Daicos for 38 our Levi Ashcroft for 40 is fair price then I’d love to see them mount the supporting argument for that.
“So no, I’m unrepentant.”
Gerard Whateley asked the Saints chief if there are others in the industry who support his view.
He firmly believes that the clubs with academy access are greatly advantaged, but is acutely aware that his past criticism has been a cautionary tale for others.
“There’s plenty of support for that view,” Bassat said further.
“More and more clubs are seeing what happens when the talent gets too easily directed to certain clubs.
“I think the fact that I got whacked so hard means some other clubs are a bit careful about opening their mouths to express that support, but I think there’s a fair bit of support.
“And I think there’s a fait bit of understanding at the AFL that perhaps the advantage given to these clubs, particularly the northern clubs, are too great.”
However, Bassat is not using it as an excuse as the Saints chase the success that has eluded them for so long.
“We need to recognise that even if there is no change to the system we want to win a flag, so we need to be the best we can be to do that,” he concluded.
“That’s our focus.”
The 2-1 Saints have the second of their early Adelaide trips this weekend against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval as they strive for three wins in a row.
They will then stick around in South Australia to prepare for their Gather Round clash with GWS at Norwood on April 13.